Friday, March 12, 2010

My trip to Strasbourg

So I haven’t been able to get to the internets for a while now so please excuse my very late post…Although I haven’t really had the chance to go online I have had quite a few opportunities to have great adventures this week. On Monday nothing really interesting happened except Colin and I got lost on a bus ride which ended up taking 2 hours because well we got on the right bus going the wrong direction...we finally got off the bus at some random stop where there was also a tram stop that we needed to get back into the city. When the tram came we knew it was the last stop for the tram and that it was going to turn around and go back into freiburg. Well when we got on the tram we sat down for a couple minutes when the conductor kicked us off saying last stop you have to leave….So we walked across the street to the other tram stop and watch the bus go around the circle and then picked us up on the other side…ya…they are a little anal retentive here or at least that tram driver was. I’ll try and draw a diagram to better explain the ridiculesness of it. After that we went to ikea and met up with my friend Kate for a beer at Martin’s Brau where Catherine also joined us.

Tuesday nothing really interesting happened so I’ll skip to Wednesday! Mittwoch was my day to be a tourist I went around Freiburg and I took lots of photos. I also bought the best Stein ever! It has buildings of freiburg painted on it and plays music. It’s pretty much the Stein you wish you had. Thursday was also fun had a confusing meeting with Silke then went to sprachlabor, which turned out to be completely useless, and then got dinner at an Irish pub with Catherine, Colin, Eliza and Jess. I had schnitzel and pommes with an Irish carbomb and later a baby Guiness.

Today was up there in best days I’ve ever had. Colin and I signed up for the Strasbourg trip and I had an amazing time. We went as a big group and I met some new people that are in Colin’s language class. We first went on a tour of the European Parliament and listened to some (I’m assuming important) people speak about why the EU is important. My favorite example though was the guy from Greece who was explaining the benefits of having an EU passport. “An EU passport you’ll find is especially useful when you are on holiday. Lets say that you are visiting a country that is not a part of the EU, lets just say Turkey, and you get into trouble. Lets say you get into a lot of trouble. And now, just for argument’s sake, let’s say you are Greek (I laugh a little too audibly at this point). You’re lost in the wilderness you don’t know what to do and you’re in southern Turkey and they are no greek consulates there. Well you could go to the German consulate because you are an EU citizen.” After the tour we got free time to get lunch and wander the city. The group I was with picked a resteraunt that was a little out of my price range but I guess I just won’t be eating out for a while. Strasbourg is gorgeous though! I took way too many pictures and I probably could have taken about 50 or 60 more…Overall a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment